Weir Public Library is a world of never ending information and imagination for all ages. Come join us for the adventure of a lifetime.
Board of Trustees
Mayor (Ex Officio Member)
The citizens of Weir having voted at the election in April, 1896, to establish a public library. Mayor King submitted the following as a board of directors of which he will be an ex-officio member: B.S. Abbot, John Mahan, Thos. Mackie, John Dowd, G.E. Beadie, H. Hayden, Mesdames F. H. Martin, L.H. Byrd, R.B. McIlhaney, Thad Hargies, H.M. Gandle, and J.N. Dodson. The board was approved. It was unanimously voted to tender the public library the use of the two upstairs rooms of the city hall.
In December, 1896, Mesdames C.M. Boswell, James Devereaux, S.W. Gould, Emma Weir, J.M. Compton, Frank Gooding, M.E. Bramhill, and A.L. Hayden were added to the list of directors.
In February of 1897, the city passed an ordinance providing the $192.00 be appropriated out of the general funds of the city to maintain the public library.
(The preceding text was taken from the Weir history book from 1976).
The library receives funding through a tax levy and allocation support through the Southeast Kansas Library System. In addition to onsite holdings, we receive books from SEKLS on a rotation basis. Four public computers are available as well as Wifi access.
Weir Public Library celebrated its 125th year of operation in 2021. Open five days a week, the library provides an annual summer reading program and partners with Southeast School district and local organizations to provide programming.